In cosmetic medicine, mesenchymal cells are used for face reconstruction combined with PRP, to treat wrinkles and skin rejuvenation.
Also, mesenchymal cells are used to treat autoimmune diseases, like multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis and newly diagnosed diabetes type I.
Also are used to treat chronic pulmonary obstruction, osteoarthritis (traumatic or degenerated),fractures, diabetic ulcers and burns.
1. MosnaF, SensebéL, KramperaM. Human bone marrow and adipose tissue mesenchymal stem cells: a user'sguide. StemCells Dev.2010 Oct; 19(10): 1449-70.
2. RadaT, Reis RL,Gomes ME. Adipose tissue-derived stem cells and their application in bone and cartilage tissue engineering. Tissue Eng PartB Rev. 2009 Jun;
3. ZhenG, LiuH, GuN, ZhangH, XuY, ZhangZ. Mesenchymal stem cells transplantation protects against rat pulmonary emphysema. Front Biosci. 2008 May 1;13:3415-22.
4. Griffin M, Iqbal SA, Bayat A. Exploring the application of mesenchymal stem cells in bone repair and regeneration. J Bone Joint Surg Br.2011 Apr; 93(4):427-34.
1. Cartilage rejuvenation (simple incidents).
Mesenchymal stem cells modification to chondrocytes. Biohellenika has developed an innovative technology to isolate, purify and regenerate the patient's own chondroblasts and chondrocytes for
either intrarticular or arthroscopic re-injection.
In the case of osteoarthritis at any age, mesenchymal cells extracted from adipose tissue modified to chondrocytes and with minimal invasive endoscopy applied into the damaged cartilage.
The number of injected cells is analogous to the extent of the damage.
2. Cartilage rejuvenation (for high cartilage lossheavy incidents). Mesenchymal stem cells modification to
Adipose tissue derived stem cells cultured and differentiated into chondrocytes, implanted in three dimensional scaffold and infused arthroscopically, for cartilage loss over 34cm2.
3. Autologous chondrocytes implantation.
This method is applied to young patients in the cases of sports injury and not to elder patients, because the ability of chondrocytes to proliferate is decreased during the age.
A small biopsy of the healthy part of the cartilage is removed and the chondrocytes are separated after enzymatic digestion.
The chondrocytes are proliferated and since an adequate number of cells, according to the extent of injury,is accomplished they are implanted into the damaged area, in a three dimensional sticky
gel of fibrin glue.
This method is applied in the cases of cartilage loss of over 8cm2.
The cartilage reconstruction is applied in all genders, age 15-60 years old, for damaged areas ranging from 1.6 to 12cm2 and in athletes of all sports.
Autologous chondroblasts or chondrocytes preparation treatments are compliant with current European Parliament and of the council of 13 November 2007 on: Advanced therapy medicinal products and
amending Directive 2001/83/EC and Regulation(EC)No726/20042.
BONE MARROW STEMCELLS